Established in 2011
at the request of an iconic hedge fund, our unique tangential thought process and strong calls have made our name.
Research > Sales
This emphasis results in a candid and precise product.
Trusted By Decision Makers
We serve some of the world’s largest investment banks, wealth managers, and family offices.
150+ Years Experience
We bring an in-depth understanding of global markets, politics, and history to the research process.
Meet Our Team
Co-Founder & President
Julian Brigden has over 30 years of experience in financial markets. He has held positions in market and policy focused consulting to hedge funds and banks, as well as in FICC sales. As a global macro strategist, not a journalist or economist by training, Julian’s primary focus is exploiting trading opportunities inherent in macroeconomic and policy-related developments. He is particularly skilled at exploring correlations in the economy and financial markets.
- 5 years at Medley Global Advisors, a leading macro policy intelligence firm, as the Managing Director of the G7 Client Team
- North American Head of Hedge Fund Sales at Credit Agricole
- Worked in London, Zurich, and New York at UBS, Lehman Brothers, HSBC, Drexel, Credit Suisse, and Salomon Brothers in foreign exchange and precious metals
- Featured on Bloomberg, CNBC, The New York Times, Wall Street Journal
Co-Founder & COO
Gretchen Brigden is Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer at MI2 Partners, where she is responsible for sales, client management, legal, compliance, and administrative functions. Gretchen brings over 30 years of professional experience in finance, including extensive work in portfolio management and esoteric asset-backed finance. Prior to MI2, she held senior-level Structured Finance positions in New York and Charlotte at Guggenheim, Ambac, Merrill Lynch Bank, Deutsche Bank and First Union Capital Markets.
- Senior-level Structured Finance positions at Guggenheim, Ambac, Merrill Lynch, Deutsche Bank, and First Union Capital Market in New York and Charlotte
Ronnie Aked rounds out the senior research team and has held positions in the finance industry for over 30 years. Ronnie brings a complimentary skill set to MI2, helping to identify investment themes and key actors likely to impact pricing and market clearing across asset types. He uses a synergistic process to his work, combining macro catalyst identification and flow of funds analysis with a liquidity filter.
- Portfolio Manager at Capstone Investment Advisors and UBS O'Conner
- Co-founder, CIO and Macro Portfolio Manager at Arsago
- Proprietary trading at Bankers Trust, Deutsche Bank and HSBC
Harry Melandri has over 30 years of financial markets experience and has held senior roles in fixed income portfolio management at Deutsche Asset Management, Aberdeen Asset Management and Brevan Howard; in macroeconomic research and macro strategy at the Bank of England and Medley Advisors; and in fixed income and derivatives trading at UBS and other investment banks.
Harry also has extensive familiarity with emerging markets and a background in volatility trading and quantitative analysis.
Jeff Uscher is the primary contributor to the Japan Update, which provides insight into the Japanese economy and markets. Jeff is the founder of Jeff Uscher's Japan Insider and has more than 35 years of experience following Japan. He is fluent in Japanese and reads local news sources to discover insights on policy, politics, and economics, which are often not available in English. Jeff comes from an equity background and spent many years as an equity analyst and head of research.
- Worked for extended periods in both Tokyo & New York
- Founding editor of Grant's Asia Observer, a bi-weekly newsletter published by Jim Grant's Interest Rate Observer
- Responsible for Asian clients at Medley Global Advisors
- Written extensively on Japanese agriculture and on the Japanese pension system
Steven Sweeney joined MI2 Partners in 2016 and provides much of the analysis that forms the backbone of our research. His previous modeling work ranged from the behavior of energetic systems to commodity, equities, and currency analysis. He uses a variety of modeling methods, programs, and coding languages.
Sales & Marketing Associate
Nadine Buschner joined MI2 Partners in 2020 and provides marketing and sales support for the team. She has a degree in Advertising and Information Management Technology from Syracuse University and has experience working at both digital agencies and large corporations conducting research, analyzing market data and trends, and providing insights and strategies for clients. Most recently, she ran her own business offering marketing consulting and content services to small business owners.